Mold and mildew have a lot in common. For starters, they’re both types of fungi and can cause serious health problems if left untreated.
In this issue, we’ll talk about mold and mildew, how to recognize them and how to get rid of them.
HOW ARE MOLD AND MILDEW DIFFERENT?
While mold is a fungus, mildew is a certain type of mold. While they both grow in damp areas both in homes and outdoors, mold can grow on just about any organic surface while mildew will typically grow mostly on plants.
You can also see differences in their appearance. Mold will usually look slimy or fuzzy and can be black, green, orange, brown, pink or purple. Mildew is more powdery in appearance, and will typically appear as white before turning to yellow and black.
WHAT KINDS OF DAMAGE CAN THEY CAUSE?
Mold can actually cause damage to structures if left untreated, and can also trigger a host of health problems, including:
Mildew can seriously damage plants and crops – even to the point of killing them. If inhaled, the mildew spores can result in:
CAN I TEST FOR MOLD OR MILDEW?
You sure can! The easiest way is to put just a few drops of bleach on an affected area and wait about 5 minutes.
If the spot becomes lighter, it’s mildew; if it stays dark, it’s mold.
HOW DO I GET RID OF MOLD AND MILDEW?
Getting rid of mildew is fairly simple, and can be done with an over-the-counter cleaner and a scrubbing brush. Just be sure you’re working in an area that’s well-ventilated.
However, because mold penetrates beneath the surface, DIY removal remedies are rarely recommended. Your best bet is to call a mold removal specialist.
FOR MOLD REMOVAL IN SAN DIEGO, CALL J&M KEYSTONE, INC.
Because of the serious health implications of mold and mildew, dealing with them effectively is critical. If you have mold infestation, don’t take chances; call the professionals here at J&M Keystone, Inc.
We’re available 24/7 and can be reached at 800-368-2757.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.