We’ve talked before about the dangers of fire, flooding, and mold in homes. In this issue, we’re going to focus on hidden dangers in your home and how to fix them.
If you live in a home that was built or painted before the 1970s, there’s a pretty good chance that lead-based paint is on your walls. Over time, that paint will chip and peel. When ingested, which can be a surprisingly easy thing to do especially by young children, the lead can be highly toxic to your body.
There are test kits available at most hardware stores that you can use to see if there’s indeed lead-paint in your house. If there is, hire a qualified professional to remove all of it.
When you’re ready to repaint, go for low or no VOC paint (Volatile Organic Compound).
Many older homes also have lead-based pipes. This solution for this is not as complex as removing lead-paint.
If you’re not up for replacing all the piping, you can simply add a water filtration system to your water tank or faucet.
You can also limit the toxins by running your faucet for one minute before using it.
THE FRIDGEIt’s crucial to clean your refrigerator regularly. Be on the lookout for expiration dates, bruising and other signs that food is aging. All raw meats should be well-sealed in plastic and away from produce and cooked meat.
All fruits and veggies should be washed to get rid of pesticides, traces of e-coli and salmonella.
Space heaters, gas water heaters, fireplaces, wood burning stoves, tobacco smoke and natural gas furnaces all produce carbon monoxide.
Because carbon monoxide is odorless, it’s critical that your home is outfitted with carbon monoxide detectors on every living level – including the basement.
FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP IN PROTECTING AND RESTORING YOUR HOME AND BUSINESS, CALL J&M KEYSTONE
Danger doesn’t have to be seen in order for it to totally disrupt our lives. Take care of your home by calling J&M Keystone, Inc. at 800-368-2757.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.