Just before the holidays, a Mission Hills home was seriously damaged by a fire caused by a smoldering cigarette.
We’ll talk about the incident in this issue and share tips for preventing fires caused by smoking.
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MISSION HILLS HOME?
A cigarette tossed into a planter box just outside the home was left unattended. The smoldering cigarette sparked a fire in the mulch, and spread into the wall and attic of the home.
Thankfully, firefighters were able to put the fire out relatively quickly after cutting a hole in the roof. A lone resident of the home was uninjured.
The fire caused an estimated $60,000 worth of damage to the home.
WHY IS SMOKING IN THE HOME SO DANGEROUS?
In the average home, flammable material is plentiful. From chairs and sofas, to beds and wood furniture, a discarded cigarette usually has plenty of potential fuel when discarded in the home.
According to The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA),
HOW TO PREVENT FIRES CAUSED BY CIGARETTES IN YOUR HOMEIf you smoke, do this:Smoke outside
FOR HOME RESTORATION IN SAN DIEGO, CALL J&M KEYSTONE
If your home is damaged or destroyed by fire, keep the home restoration experts at J&M Keystone in mind. You can reach us 24/7 by calling 800-368-2757.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.