If you’ve got a water leak in your home, you’ve got a problem on your hands. Beyond potentially driving down the value of your home significantly, water damage in the home can easily lead to health issues from the growth of mold and fungi. But actually finding the source of the leak can be a problem. That’s why, in this issue, we’ll talk about how to track it down.
Will the signs of a water leak be obvious? Not all the time. In fact, it’s common for water leaks to not even impact your overall water pressure.
SOME OF THE MORE NOTICEABLE TRAITS OF A WATER LEAK, HOWEVER, INCLUDE:• a damp area of drywall;
• a discoloration on your wall or ceiling;
• a floor that feels a bit spongy;
• a portion of the wall that is warped for no apparent reason;
• paint or wallpaper that’s peeling; and
• a musty smell in portions of the house.
How can I track down the source of the water leak in my home?
THERE ARE A FEW TRICKS OF THE TRADE YOU CAN USE TO TRACK DOWN ANY LEAKS.• To find if you do indeed have a leak, turn off all appliances that use water (washing machine, dishwasher, etc.), and make note of your water meter reading. Check the meter again in about 3 hours to see if the number on the meter has changed; if it has, you probably have a leak.
• To track down the most obvious source, feel the surface of the suspected affected area, and gently push on it to see if it is spongy.
• Get an accounting of where all pipes in the affected area are so that you can get a good idea of where they run, so that you’ll know where to look.
• After using a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall, turn off the breakers that control the electricity in the area, then use a drywall saw to remove a small portion of the wall.
• Insert a flashlight, and look along the pipes to see if you see signs of dripping.
FOR EXPERT LEAK LOCATION AND WATER DAMAGE REPAIR IN SAN DIEGO, CALL J&M KEYSTONE, INC.Again, a water leak can be the source for serious and significant damage to your home if it’s not taken care of immediately. To make sure your water repair work is done the right way, get in touch with us here at J&M Keystone, Inc.
We’re available 24/7, so if you have a water emergency in your home, call us at 800-368-2757.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.