Home owners should be aware of the potential hazards of mold and how to control this problem. It is important for homeowners to know how to identify mold problems or know when to call an expert, as mold can be very dangerous to those who are sensitive.
If you are concerned that your home or workplace may have mold, there are a number of ways to find out. One key indicator is smell; mold usually produces a musky odor. Another way to determine if you may have mold is by sight. Mold is often visible; however, not every mold infestation is easily seen, as mold sometimes attacks hidden areas or the spaces behind wallboard.
The best indicator that you are at risk of mold is if your home has had moisture issues such as flooding. Signs include water stains or discoloration on floors, walls and ceiling. A water leak from faulty pipes is also a good indicator that you might have mold growing in your home. If your home has had a significant water leak or suffered from flooding, the chances are good that you will have a mold issue.
If you find evidence of mold, have it removed professionally as soon as possible.
IS ALL MOLD DANGEROUS?
Not all mold is dangerous to people or animals; in fact, out of the several hundred species of mold, experts estimate that less than 20 are hazardous to humans. However, those that are considered dangerous to people and pets are often the very ones that appear after a flood or water leak and should be taken seriously and dealt with as soon as possible. Some of the most common species of household molds include: Fusarium, Paecilomyces, Penicillium and Trichoderma.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers some insight into mold and its impact on building occupants. Some people are allergic to molds; they experience symptoms such as nasal runniness and stuffiness, irritation to the eyes, wheezing and skin rashes. People with serious allergies to molds experience more severe reactions. These may occur when workers are exposed to large amounts of molds in the workplace, such as farmers who work around moldy hay. These serious reactions can include fever and severe shortness of breath; others may develop lung infections from mold exposure.
I FOUND MOLD IN MY HOME—HOW CAN I BE SURE IT IS REMOVED PROPERLY?
It is always best to let professionals handle your mold removal. No matter how severe the mold appears to be, a mold remediation professional like J&M Keystone in San Diego can carry out the restoration process and bring your home back to its original condition.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.